1. Follow the rules of good sportsmanship in all Akita competition and activities.
2. Shall always conduct ourselves in a manner which will reflect credit upon
ourselves, our Akitas and the sport of purebred dogs, regardless of the location
or circumstance; protect and advance the development of the Akita through
continued improvement of soundness, stable temperament, structure, and
3. Shall maintain the best possible standard of canine health, cleanliness and
veterinary care in an atmosphere conducive to the stable development of our dogs.
4. Fully explain to all puppy/adult Akita Purchasers the advantages as well as the
disadvantages of owning an Akita.
5. Strive to help and befriend novice exhibitors and owners.
6. Strive to be informed in the field of genetics and work to eliminate hereditary
defects from the breed.
7. Shall breed only with the intention of improving the breed by breeding only those
Akitas who conform to the standard as recognized by any national registry or
8. Honestly evaluate the quality of the Akita sold, fairly represent that evaluation and
urge puppy purchasers not to breed dogs which, for any reason should not be used
9. Will not release puppies before the age of 8 weeks.
10. Will before entering into a breeding agreement or doing any breeding of our own
dogs, carefully analyze the conformation and pedigrees of the prospective sire and
dam. Shall refuse the mating if, in our opinion, it will not be in the best interest of
the Akita breed. If denying stud service, will fully explain the reasons to the owner
of the bitch.
11. Will do health clearances such as hip x-raying (Pre-lims/OFA Certification w/a minimum of Fair)
and eye examinations (CERF) by qualified veterinarians to eliminate hip dysplasia and congenital eye problems.
12. If an Akita has hereditary faults of such nature as to make his or her use for
breeding detrimental to the breed, that dog shall be deemed pet quality and
neutered/spayed on a date to be chosen after a consultation with veterinarian.
13. Will refuse to deal with dog wholesalers or to sell puppies to pet shops and will
include in all stud contracts an agreement to be signed by the owner of the bitch that no puppies
resulting from the mating will be wholesaled, sold or given to pet shops or wholesale dog breeders or dealers.
14. Will not conduct any business with a known back yard breeder. Will not conduct
any business with or on the behalf of anyone who is suspended of any national registry privileges.
15. Provide copies of health clearances on the sire and dam of the puppy being sold as
well as a legally binding contract and shall honor any contract entered into with any party.
16. Will screen all potential puppy buyers to make sure the puppy receives the best
home possible and will offer support to the puppy buyer for the dog’s life.
17. Puppies and Adults that are sold as pet quality will be sold on spay/neuter
contracts with written agreement that no registration papers will be issued until the
seller has received veterinary certification that surgery has been performed and a
copy of the certification received by breeder.
18. Exhibit a commitment to Akitas we have bred and sold by supporting rescue
through involvement with any Akita placed in rescue, produced by either dog or
bitch that is owned or co-owned. Support may include but is not limited to financial, fostering, and/or re-homing.
|These are the rules that we adhere to at Ancient Knight Akitas.
|Our Code of Ethics